subhead

I don't expect to be reincarnated,
so I'll blog about dying and death (with appropriate irreverence) while I'm still alive.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Sometimes it is too late


I was reading an article in the NY Daily News about a woman who is near death after being hit by a "speed demon" on a $4,000 bicycle in Central Park. At first her name didn't mean anything to me, but then I realized that Jill Tarlov is the daughter of my late father's late first cousin, Malcolm Tarlov from Norwalk.

I probably have not seen Jill in more than 50 years and probably would have gone the rest of my life without thinking of her. It's sad to be reminded of relatives when they are dead or nearly dead.

If you have old friends and relatives whom you don't hate but have not spoken to in a long time, get in touch. You may not have another chance.


Apparently there are no speed limits for bicycles in NYC. There should be.

From Australian News.com.au:

>>
Police sources said it’s common for athletic cyclists to pedal in the car lanes, enabling them to travel faster.
“These guys think that they have entitlement and they don’t ride in the bike lanes,” one source said.
Witness Phillip Fenton, 21, visiting New York on a geography field trip from England’s University of Exeter, said Marshall was “speeding,” adding, “It didn’t look like he tried to stop.
“He was yelling for her to get out of the way, but I don’t think she heard him,” Mr Fenton added.
Mr Fenton’s pal Tom Longman said Marshall was hunched over the brakeless, triathlon-style “aerobars” attached to the handlebars of his high-performance, yellow and black ride.
“She went down pretty hard,” Longman said. “The right side of her face looked very bad. There was blood all over her.”
Local residents have long complained at Central Park Precinct Community Council meetings that the cyclists are a danger.<<

Update: Jill died.

No comments:

Post a Comment